Frequently Asked Questions

... about starting your studies in Mannheim

... about the selection of courses

  • Which courses are open to international students?

    Please read our explanation of the courses offered by the School of Humanities and the other institutions of the University of Mannheim. You can attend almost all courses in English and American Studies, German Studies, History, Media and Communication Studies, Philosophy, Romance Studies, and International Cultural Studies.

    At the end of May and at the end of November respectively, the courses for the next semester are published in the course catalog of the International Office. In Portal2, you can use the search function to find courses from previous semesters. Please note that these courses might not necessarily be offered in the semester in which you come to the University of Mannheim.

  • When and how can I register for the courses?

    At the end of May or at the end of November respectively, all international students at the School of Humanities will receive an e-mail containing a registration form and instructions on course registration for all courses offered at the School of Humanities.

    You can register for courses about three weeks before the lecture period starts. Registration is open for nine days. You will receive a list, which you have to fill in and send to

    Please contact us, if you would like to attend courses that are not offered by the School of Humanities. Please do not enter these courses in the registration form of the School of Humanities.

    If you miss the registration deadline, you will have to expect to be admitted to a smaller number of courses. Please note that we cannot guarantee that you will be offered a spot in any particular course.

  • Which are the languages of instruction at the School of Humanities?

    The School of Humanities offers a broad range of courses that are taught either in German or English. You also have the possibility to attend courses held in French, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish. Each semester, a small number of courses are taught in other languages, such as Catalan or Russian. Please refer to the information for international students on Portal2 to find out which requirements apply to these courses. Please note that you will not receive any ECTS credits for courses at the language levels A1 to B1. You should bear this in mind when choosing your course.

  • Where can I find language courses?

    If you are interested in general language courses, please refer to the language courses offered by the International Office and the Studium Generale. These courses are subject to a tuition fee. 

    Please note that the courses offered by the School of Humanities are scientific courses. They do not serve the purpose of language acquisition, but rather the scientific study of languages. 

  • Do I have to pay a tuition fee for my courses?

    The courses offered by the School of Humanities are generally free of charge. However, you will have to pay fees for the courses offered by the International Office and the Studium Generale.

... about the recognition of credits obtained abroad

  • Who will sign my Learning Agreement?

    Learning Agreement

    International students from European partner universities who come to Mannheim as part of the European ERASMUS program have a Learning Agreement. You can obtain the relevant forms from your home university. Please contact the competent contact persons at your home university to find out exactly when your home university needs these forms.

    We will sign the following documents that are part of your Learning Agreement: Before the mobility and Exceptional changes during the mobility. Please come to our office hours during the first month following your arrival in Mannheim to have your Learning Agreement signed. Please note that we are not authorized to sign the following documents: Certificate of Arrival and Certificate of Departure. To have these documents signed, please contact the International Office of the University of Mannheim in person.

    Each form must be signed by the contact person of your home university.
  • What can I do if I have to hand in my Learning Agreement but the courses are not yet online?

    The courses for the next semester are always published in the course catalog of the International Office at the end of May and at the end of November respectively. If you have to submit your Learning Agreement at an earlier date, please complete it entering the courses from the previous semester.

  • What do I have to do if the courses I take deviate from the Learning Agreement?

    In this case, please use the part exceptional changes during the mobility of your Learning Agreement. You should discuss this with your home university. We sign this part of the Learning Agreement and will help you if your home university asks any questions that you are not able to answer.

... about examinations

  • Do I have to register for exams?

    If you would like to obtain ECTS credits for a certain course, please always remember to register for your exams at mid-semester. It does not matter how many ECTS credits you would like to earn and what kind of coursework and examinations you complete. You can register during the registration period via Portal2. If you fail to meet the regular registration deadline, you have one more month to register in person at the Student Services. However, you will have to pay a fee.

  • How do I get my transcript of records?

    The International Office will send the transcript of records via e-mail both to you and to your home institution. However, this is only possible once your teachers have graded all your examinations. Please note that you will only receive grades if you have registered for the respective examination. If you have already left Mannheim and decide against earning ECTS credits in a specific course, please let us know as soon as possible. If you need a printed version of your transcript, please send us an e-mail.

... about any organizational matters

  • What is the difference between Mobility-Online, myUniMa, Portal2 and Ilias?

    • Mobility-Online is the platform via which students apply for a study place at the University of Mannheim. You will receive your log-in data after you have been nominated by your home university or applied as a free mover.
    • On MyUniMa, you will find a lot of useful information about your stay abroad, for example about your residence permit and health insurance. Here, you can also register for a German language test and check which amounts of money you still have to pay.
    • Portal2 offers students an overview of their courses. The corresponding rooms and times are also noted here. Here, you can also register for your examinations and check your grades up to one month after your stay in Mannheim.
    • On the Ilias e-learning platform, you will find all information and documents relevant to your courses such as compulsory literature, presentations or syllabi.
  • What do I have to do if I would like to stay for another semester?

    We are very happy that you enjoy living in Mannheim! The first thing you should do is talk to your home university. They must agree to an extension first. Subsequently, we will be happy to advise you.
    Our nomination periods are as follows:

    • 31 October for an extension for the spring semester
    • 30 April for an extension for the fall semester

Advising and contact

Abir Al-Laham

Abir Al-Laham (she/her)

Incoming Exchange Coordinator
University of Mannheim
School of Humanities
Schloss – Room EO 291
68161 Mannheim
Phone: +49 621 181–3106
Fax: +49 621 181–2168
E-mail: incoming.phil
Consultation hour(s):
Tue 10–12 a.m.
Online consultation hours – please make an appointment via

Wed 10–12 a.m.
Open consultation hours in room EO 291